Gir cow is an Indian native breed mostly found in Gujarat and Maharashtra States in India. This cow has a unique feature that it gives milk with A2 protein which makes it different from other breeds. When we talk about physical features, it has hump, spiraling horns, dome-like head and long ears. Daily yielding is around 8 to 10 liters per day, which is why A2 milk and Ghee is costly.
What is ‘Gir Cow Desi Ghee’ or ‘A2 Ghee’?
Ghee which is only made by using Gir cow milk is called Gir cow Desi ghee or A2 ghee.
Why is A2 ghee costlier than other ghee available in the market? What is the bilona method?
It takes 25 to 30 liters of milk to prepare 1 kg of Gir cow desi ghee plus we prepare ghee using bilona method. Bilona method is an ancient way of making ghee in which we first set the curd then churn the curd. After churning the curd we get makkhan, this makkhan is then heated which finally gives Desi gir cow ghee. Obviously, the quantity of milk it takes and the extra effort we exert for the bilona method makes it costlier.
What are the benefits of A2 gir cow desi ghee?
The Ayurvedic texts e.g. Charak Samhita has already mentioned innumerable benefits of desi cow ghee. Some of them are as follows:
- Boost immunity: Desi gir cow ghee is well known for its property of improving immunity which keeps us away from multiple health problems.
- Facilitate skin and hair: Desi gir cow ghee is a natural moisturizer which moisturizes the body internally and externally which leads to shiny and healthy skin. It gives strength to hair roots.
- Digestive benefits: According to ayurveda if we want to keep our body healthy we should have our digestive system healthy. This ghee keeps our digestive system healthy by keeping necessary microbes in our gastrointestinal tract alive.
- Helps in burns and injuries: Gir cow desi ghee has miraculous benefits of curing cuts, wounds and injuries of the skin. in ancient times, it was being used to cure the same.
- Helps in Vata and pitta dosha: Ayurvedic texts claim that this Ghee helps in maintaining balance between vata and pitta.
- Maintains overall health: Ghee contains calcium, phosphorus, rich fats and potassium which helps to maintain blood pressure. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is an important acid that lowers bad cholesterol thus it improves overall heart health.
- Gir cow ghee is rich in vital elements like Vitamin A, E, D and K which increase your body’s defensive mechanism against various infections. Apart from strengthening your immunity, this ghee also promotes heart and brain health.